
Today in GP, Sister Wulstenhuem talked about "commandments not a few" found in verse 4 of D&C 59. It reminded me of thoughts I've had on the interesting phrase. Clearly, the verse shows that commandments are blessings, and not to be looked at as restrictive or controlling. But beyond that, the verse implies that further commandments, beyond those given to the collective church, will be given to the "faithful and diligent." Elder Bednar discusses this idea in his talk, "In a State of Happiness," a very fine talk. He says that "I find it fascinating that one of the greatest blessings related to keeping God’s commandments is additional commandments. Now, individuals who find commandments restrictive and constraining clearly will not regard more commandments as a blessing and as a source of happiness. But the Apostle John taught that for one who has come unto Christ and been born again, God’s “commandments are not grievous” (1 John 5:3). Thus, individuals who have eyes to see and ears to hear will readily recognize the consummate spiritual benefit and happiness that come from additional direction from heaven.
What are these “commandments not a few” and how do we receive them? The individual and personal “commandments not a few” we receive frequently tend to focus upon the good things we can and should do to develop and deepen our discipleship—as opposed to focusing primarily upon the bad things we must avoid or overcome."
Elder Bednar then goes on to give examples of "commandments not a few" given to individuals: to pay additional offerings to the church, to control thoughts, to work honestly in a profession.
Ariel and I have experienced these experiences occassionally. I felt prompted in the temple after my mission to destroy (not sell) all of my music collection from my pre-mission life (hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of music). I went up to the cabin and burned the pamphlets and CDs, and felt that it was an additional, tailored commandment to me to deepen my discipleship. Ariel and I have also recognized the commandment to have a baby, and when to have a baby. We have felt prompted in our tithes and offerings with personalized commandments of what the Lord would have us give and where he would have us give. I want to have these commandments given me.
I want to know from you Galli gals and guys what you do to prepare yourselves to receive "commandments not a few," and I would also love to hear your examples of having these commandments given.
My first Galli Gals post!
2 comments:
Thanks for your post, Andrew. So good to have you along on the family blog! I'm glad to be back to the blog, too. I think, as you intimate, that every time we receive prompting to do something good, it comes from the Lord, and is a personal commandment for us. For me the trick to rejoicing in those commandments is to know 1. That the Lord does nothing save for the benefit of the world, for he loveth the world (and us in it), so anything he asks of me will be good for me and good for others. (2 Nephi 26), and that 2. He prepares a way for us to do all he asks of us--not only prepares the way, but strengthens us beyond our natural capacities. (good old 1 Nephi 3:7, and so many others). He calls us every day to take up our cross (leave our nets, etc.) and follow him, so that he can bless us and others on a new level. We must lose ourselves in following all these "commandments." Why? so there will be so much more of us to find when he's done with us. (C.S. Lewis, etc.) Thanks for the reminder, and for the good example you and Bubby set for us.
Thanks for posting that, my love. You're such a great example to me. Last night as I fell asleep I was thinking about how you help me to be my best possible self. The way you're always trying to improve and really seek to know what God wants you to be doing is you're best quality. I love you!
Post a Comment