Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Best Day

We have had two beautiful October weekends in a row. The first was a cabin trip for conference. We posted one radio in the kitchen with the antennae taped to a nail on the wall above and the curtain rod, and the old "boom box" in the living room with a hanger against the window. Laurel assiduously worked on her 1500 piece James Christensen Shakespearean puzzle (perhaps in sympathy with Hope!). She ultimately finished in Sunday afternoon. Micah and Rachel, having had little sleep, took turns playing, "shhh-pat"ing Aaron in their new and helpful efforts to help Aaron sleep (thanks to The Baby Whisperer and The No Cry Sleep Solution), and napping.Laurel agreed to make breakfast on Saturday if I would make scones on Sunday, so we did. The scones were like whole wheat rolls, fried. Could have been worse, could have been better! No pictures of those, sorry. They looked like little brown knobs.

I don't have photos of the Peterson's visit on Sunday afternoon between sessions and for the last session, but it was a treat to lounge with them on the porch in the golden fall sunshine, and to have their help cleaning up lunch and winterizing both cabins. Cleo gave Morgan a little caper round and round and in and out of the cabin. It was good for Morgan, but she did not see it that way.

Between sessions on Saturday, Rachel and I headed up the Fish Lake trail to the meadow. Over and over we exclaimed, "This is the best day of the year!" We were in Weber heaven with the shimmering aspen decorating the air and fir trees, storybook clouds scudding across the deep blue sky, and heaven's words filling our souls.

Craig must have thought so too, for that afternoon when fishing with Micah he caught possibly his all-time grandest fish from that river. We decided it was a bishop's bonus and memorialized it with a boys' portrait. Craig and Micah went down the canyon to celebrate Micah's birthday at Hi-Mountain Drug in Kamas, followed by the priesthood session.While they were gone for so long, we decided that was the day to feed Aaron his first solids, so we peeled and cooked a pear on the stove in a little water, then blended it in the ancient cabin Osterizer from the cupboard. Aaron was delighted, and had no problem swallowing his food. He has joyfully been eating some fruits and veggies and a little brown rice ever since.Sunday was again the best day of the year, for all the same reasons plus the sabbath. We collected in the front room near the fire, and Rachel brought out the marshmallows. Craig and I dearly loved President Monson's Sunday morning talk. What love and faith he shows in his willingness to follow the promptings of the spirit, nothing doubting! We are striving for the same.Other favorite talks include Elder Christofferson's talk on repentance and, of course, Sister Dalton's powerful call to fathers to cherish their daughters! That was a historic talk. Which were your favorites?

This weekend, Craig, Laurel and I traveled south to Dixie so that Laurel could attend Snow Canyon's homecoming dance with her good friend Brandon Graves ("Brando" to Craig). While they hiked in the early morning and played games at the mall, Mom, Dad, Craig and I attended a beautiful session at the temple, and enjoyed multi-grain pancakes at the Black Bear Diner. It was a fitting way to celebrate Yom Kippur, but every day at the temple is holy!

I'm not sure if any of our daughters successfully pinned boutineer on their date in high school! It's not a family skill. This time Craig did the job.

I apologize for the low-resolution of these photos--I had my camera on the wrong setting.

An old song is stuck in my head: 'Time is my friend, for every time we meet, the time we spend is tender and sweet." I thank the Lord for sweet times with our family and friends!





5 comments:

Anna Peterson said...

glorious indeed!

Rachel and Micah said...

Beautiful! Even though I love the aspen shots and Laurel looks beautiful in the dance pictures, I think my favorite picture is you reading with Aaron. I need a copy of that!

Scottish gal said...

I agree with everything posted by Rachel and Micah including the photo request. But do remember how lovely the days in the land of the red and black hills.

Andrew said...

THanks so much for posting! Post your adventures every week. Looks like we missed a beautiful week, but we look forward to seeing you here this beautiful week!

Andrew said...

This is Ariel, btw :)