Everything I know (and continue to learn) about motherhood and being a good mother, I learned from my own angel mother. Among all the good things in life, my mother taught me to appreciate and love fine art. I have selected some of my favorite paintings about mothers to dedicate to her. I have chosen paintings that remind me of my mother, my relationship with her, moments from my childhood and the tenderness of a mother to a child. Through my mothering of my own children, I have been amazed at how close a mother can be to a young child, and the tenderness of that relationship. The way I speak to my babies and hold them close I learned as a babe in my own mother's arms. Although I cannot remember those moments, the deep impression they made on me formed the basis for my relationship with her, my relationship with my own children, and will be the basis of the relationships of my children to their children. I love you, Marmie!
 |
Nora Kasten, "Mother and Child"
|
 |
Young Mother - Pierre-Auguste Renoir
|
 |
| Berthe Morisot |
 |
| I included this picture because it's called, "The Hard working Mother." Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin, 1740 |
 |
Mother and Child - Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 1881
|
 |
Marie Antoinette and her Children - Louise Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun, 1787
|
 |
| Mother and Children - William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1879 |
 |
| Mother and Daughter - Richard Gerstl, 1906 |
 |
| Heidi Malott |
 |
Mother - Joaquín Sorolla, 1895
|
 |
| Madame Vigee Lebrun and her daughter, Jeanne Lucie Louise - Louise Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun, 1789 |
 |
Bella and Ida by the Window - Marc Chagall
|
The following paintings are all by Mary Cassatt, who captured a mother's love and the close mother-child bond better than anyone.
 |
| Finally for you, here's your "Breakfast in Bed" on Mother's Day. |
4 comments:
Ariel, no words can say what being your mother and dear friend have meant to me. No words at all. It has truly been all joy. Thank you for the Mothers Day art show. It is lovely.
So beautiful Ariel! I really love power of those portraits.
gorgeous.
Lovely. One of my favorite art exhibits was a Mary Cassatt exhibit at BYU. She really captures the tenderness of daily mother moments. It reminded me of the beauty of my daily life. It might take me longer to do laundry with Aaron next to me taking clothes out of the basket, but how wonderful to enjoy his company and that time as commonplace as it is. And of course it turns my own thoughts to my sweet, intelligent, and compassionate mother.
Post a Comment